sunnuntai 11. elokuuta 2019

Wrapped Up So Good



House of cards
in the house of Gods
What´s mine is yours,
you can´t lose what´s lost

I have antique silverware stuck in my head
Old, moldy carpets wrapped around my legs
My arms can´t move,
my mouth is full of butterflies
Your arms can´t hold me
´cause they´d tell nothing but lies
And your honesty lies beneath your touch
And my modesty lies beneath the trash that doesn´t speak much

I have called you to find me,
but the wind keeps on hushing
I waited for you to need me
but my flesh is turning to mush and
I guess I´ll sleep alone
while I turn into bones
I guess you don´t need to come
´cause you already gave me some
And your generosity ran out just last night
And my curiosity killed my last feline life line

Knight or pawn
in this game of Gods
What I won had it´s cost,
you can´t rule out the loss

We had dust in our love since it began to bloom
Little crickets writhing in our sugar spoon
You should´ve danced me to the moon,
fuck,
I should´ve pranced like never before
But here I am, singing to the stars
You carried me, though
so I shouldn´t mind the fall

You keep on laughing like you never laughed with me
I´ll keep your secret, ´cause I´m here to keep
I see you never meant to hurt me
but here I am, wrapped up so neat
The stars start to turn into flashes
memories turn into heart beats
Your favourite girl is tucked in, ready to sleep
Lullabies in bass lines, deep
Butterflies hatch out while the final verse is sung
But after a while nothing really ever begun

1 kommentti:

  1. nice one. it reminds me of 'Far From Any Road' (one of my many favorites). had to read it twice to 'get' it, as with all the best songs.

    i wrote this one for E. it's a little more concrete than i'd like, but i'll take any song these days (inspiration seems to like long holidays).


    "Summer Love / Perfect Blue"

    so here's to you, my meadowsweet
    on the isle where rivers meet
    where our dreams do float to die
    or ever sleep, eternal lie

    'tis a song in perfect blue
    from your rogue without a clue
    from a wanderer by trade
    learning evermore to fade
    but hanging on through dead of love
    for a glimpse of summer sun

    there's no simple twist of fate
    as i stand before your gate
    ready now for real for ever to fall
    as you sleep for one and all

    in this wind no answer blows
    though it seemed so clear 'n close
    as i held you through the night
    that rent us deep and bound us tight
    now it ain't wrong 'n it ain't right
    it's life and life so seldom rhymes

    now take this thing, 'n throw or keep
    on your neck or water deep
    or both, as you were ever swan
    the moment i laid eyes upon
    my one and only summer love
    oh, you're the summer that i love!

    goodbye for good unless you call
    though world be mine, i'll drop the ball
    'n play with you for hour, two
    or life or more, in perfect blue

    ---

    what a weird mix. i guess i'll thank Cthulhu and Bob Dylan.

    now the anime 'Perfect Blue' is excellent. be sure to watch it if you get the chance. (i think most animes are just excuses to have a heart-breaking, nostalgic credits song; this one's certainly no exception.)

    the 'thing' that's mentioned in the song was an amber trinket that i bought from a roadside booth in Denmark (there's no salesperson; you just put the money in a box and take the jewelry. Vad härligt!). it's doubtful that i'll actually cycle to E's house to drop it off (i still can't drive a car, heh). you live too far and lure too vaguely, my dear. or i'm too old, perhaps. and i don't want to cause a scene of any kind (even if she'd prefer it...).

    if you see a red kayak on your lake though, it's probably mine. no one owns the water.

    now the water in your eyes is like a river, changing color with the sunlight. ever the marvel-girl, you can make a single night last for 10 years. and the harder one tries to forget you, the worse the odds become. i had lost the battle from day one.
    and it's fine.

    "I am a man enclosed in quotation marks, ever since I took a drink of you."
    - Jeff Buckley

    i may reply to new songs, and to a letter from E. for certain. but even though jobs & friends continue to elude me, somehow this seems like a pretty busy life. i've learned to talk to loneliness; sometimes she answers. so, i might not write again. after all, E. never said she wants me to, when i asked. and that too is fine. whatever her reasons, they're better than mine.

    All the best, -v.

    P.S. I see you've been to Norway. That country's like a monument to nature. Like a giant church. How do you go to the supermarket every day next to a mountain with a million tiny water-falls? Somehow they do it. They say you get used to anything, but if you get used to Norway, there's no more hope for you.

    I'd love to go there with you someday. I do love a lot of impossible things.

    VastaaPoista